Soilborne plant diseases
Expertise and Instrumentation: Ecology and control of soilborne pathogens of cotton, rice and soybeans
I conduct research on the ecology of soilborne plant pathogens and their control through chemical, cultural and alternative strategies. The research is directed toward developing sustainable cropping systems for cotton and other field crops.
Current research activities include Thielaviopsis basicola, the cause of black root rot, and the synergistic interaction between T. basicola and nematode. Research is characterizing Rhizoctonia solani populations, anastomosis groups, in soils under different cropping systems in Arkansas. The importance of Pythium root rot in losses associated with temporary flooding for soybean and cool soil temperatures for rice is being investigated in cooperation with other plant pathologists. Decision-aids for the application of in-furrow fungicides for the control of cotton seedling diseases are being developed.
- Principles of Plant Pathology
- Ecology and Epidemiology (Ecology of Soilborne Plant Pathogens)
- B.S. - Iowa State University of Science and Technology (Botany)
- M.S. - University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (Plant Pathology)
- Ph.D. - University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (Plant Pathology)
Kirkpatrick, M. T., Rothrock, C. S., Rupe, J. C., and Gbur, E. E. 2006. The effect of Pythium ultimum and soil flooding on two soybean cultivars.Plant Dis. 90:597-596.
Kirkpatrick, M. T., Rupe, J. C. and Rothrock, C. S. 2006. Soybean response to flooded soil conditions and the association with soilborne plant pathogenic genera. Plant Dis.90:592-596
Monfort, W. S., Kirkpatrick, T. L., and Rothrock, C. S. 2006. Effects of nocturnal soil temperatures and Meloidogyne incognita densities on cotton seedling growth and the interaction with Thielaviopsis basicola.Plant Dis.90:519-522
Davis,R.M., Dolyer, P.D, Rothorock, C.S., and Kochman, J.K. 2006. Fusarium wilt of cotton : Population diversity and implications for management. Plant Dis. 90 :692-703
Rothrock, C. S., and Winter, S. A. 2005. The value of fungicide seed treatments and seed treatment chemistries for cotton stand establishment:Twelve years of results from the cotton disease council's national cottonseed treatment trials. Page 118 in: Proceedings of the 2005 Beltwide Cotton Conferences http://www.cotton.org/beltwide/proceedings.
Walker, N. R., Kirkpatrick, T. L., and Rothrock, C. S. 2000. Influence of Meloidogyne incognita and Thielaviopsis basicola populations on early season disease development and cotton growth. Plant Dis. 84:449-453.
Keinath, A. P., Batson, W. E., Jr., Caceres, J., Elliott, M. L., Sumner, D. R., Brannen, P. M., Rothrock, C. S., Huber, D. M., Benson, D. M., Conway, K. E., Schneider, R. N., Motsenbocker, C. E., Cubeta, M. A., Ownley, B. H., Canaday, C. H., Adams, P. D., Backman, P. A., and Fejardo, J. 2000. Evaluation of biological and chemical seed treatments to improve stand of snap bean across the southern United States. Crop Protection 19:501-509
Walker, N. R., Kirkpatrick, T.L., and Rothrock, C.S. 1999.Effect of temperature on and histopathology of the interaction between Meloidognyne incognita and Thielaviopsis basicola on cotton. Phytopathology 89:613-617.
Candole, B. L., and Rothrock, C. S. 1998. Using marked strains to assess the effect of hairy vetch amendment on the inoculum densities of Thielaviopsis basicola, Pythium ultimum and Rhizoctonia solani. Soil. Biol. Biochem. 30:443-448.
Candole, B. L., and Rothrock, C. S. 1997. Characterization of the suppressiveness of hairy vetch-amended soils to Thielaviopsis basicola. Phytopathology 87:197-202.
Rothrock, C.S., Kirkpatrick, T.L., Frans, R.E., and Scott, H.D. 1995. The influence of winter legume cover crops on soilborne plant pathogens and cotton seedling diseases. Plant Dis. 79:167-171.
Carling, D. E., Rothrock, C. S., MacNish, G. C., Sweetingham, M. W., Brainard, K. A., and Winter, S. W. 1994. Characterization of anastomosis group 11 (AG-11) of Rhizoctonia solani. Phytopathology 84:1387-1393.
Books and Book Chapters:
- Kirkpatrick, T. L. and Rothrock, C. S. (eds.). 2001. Compendium of Cotton Diseases, 2nd edition. APS Press.
- Rothrock, C. S. 2001. Pythium root rot. Pages 841-842 In: The Encyclopedia of Plant Pathology. O. C. Maloy and T. D. Murray, eds. John Wiley & Sons. New York.
- Rothrock, C. S. 1999. Thielaviopsis basicola. In: Crop Protection Compendium (CDROM) CAB International, Wallingford
- Rothrock, C. S. 1996. Cotton Diseases Incited by Rhizoctonia solani. Pages 269-278 In: Rhizoctonia species: Taxonomy, Molecular Biology, Ecology, Pathology and Disease Control.
- B. Sneh, S. Jabaji-Hare, S. Neate, and G. Dijst (Eds.). Kluwer Academic Publishers,
- Rothrock, C. S. 1992. Tillage systems and plant disease. Soil Science 154:308-315.