Expertise and Instrumentation: Epidemiology and control of plant diseases, ecology of soybean pathogens
Research focuses on the epidemiology and control of soybean diseases with emphasis on: seedling diseases, charcoal rot, frogeye leaf spot and sudden death syndrome (SDS). With seedling diseases, we are determining the effectiveness of fungicidal seed treatments, which pathogen groups are most important, the efficacy of resistance to Pythium spp. in soybean seedling disease management, and the role of the environment in plant stand establishment. Charcoal rot resistance is being studied in the field and greenhouse in inoculated trials. Microplot studies on charcoal rot are determining the effects of resistance, inoculation, and watering regime to charcoal rot development. Cultivars are being screened for frogeye leaf spot resistance and races of the pathogen, Cercospora sojina, in the state are being determined. We are completing work on SDS on the interactions of the SDS pathogen, Fusarium solani f.sp. glycines, with the soybean cyst nematode (SCN), Heterodera glycines and the determination of the genetics of SDS resistance. A new area of research is in relating seed vigor to field performance under stressed environmental conditions.
- PLPA 5313: Advanced Plant Pathology - Ecology and Epidemiology (Team-Taught with Dr. Rothrock and Dr. TeBeest. My section is on quantitative epidemiology.
- PLPA 5404: Diseases of Economic Crops (Team-Taught with others in the department. My section is on diseases of soybean.
B.A.- Goshen College, Indiana, (Biology)
- B.S.- Colorado State University, (Plant Pathology)
M.S.- University of Kentucky, (Plant Pathology)
Ph.D.- University of Kentucky, (Plant Pathology)
- Rupe, J.C. and Luttress, R.L. 2008. "Effect of Pests and Diseases on Soybean Quality." In SOYBEANS: Chemistry, Production, Processing, and Utilization Edited by L.A. Johnson, P.J. White and R. Galloway, Amercan Oil Chemists Society, (In Press).
- Rupe, J.C. and Sconners, L.E. 2008. Soybean Rust. http://www.apsnet.org/education/LessonsPlantPath/sbRust/default.htm
- Kirkpatrick, M.T., Rothrock, C.S., and Rupe, J.C. 2006. The effect of Pythium ultimum and soil flooding on soybeans in relation to flood tolerance. Plant Dis. 90:597-602.
- Kirkpatrick, M.T., Rupe, J.C., and Rothrock, C.S. 2006. Soybean response to flooded soil conditions and the association with plant pathogenic fungal genera. Plant Dis. 90:592-596.
- Chen, P., Sneller, C.H., Rupe, J.C., Riggs, R.D. and Robbins, R.T. 2006. Registration of 'UA 4805' Soybean. Crop Sci. 46:974.
- Egli, D.B., TeKrony, D.M., Heitholt, J.J., and Rupe, J. 2005. Air temperature during seed filling and soybean seed germination and vigor. Crop Sci. 45:1329-1335
- Rosso, M., Rupe, J., Rothrock, C. 2005. Resistance of soybean cultivars to Pythium damping-off and root rot based on Rps 1K gene. Phytopahtology 95:S90.
- Rosso, M. L., Rupe, J.C., Rothrock, C.S., Kirkpatrick, T.L., Cartwright, R., Tingle, C., Popp, M., and Winters, S.A. 2005. Effect of fungicide seed treatment and seed quality on soybean stand and yield in Arkansas. Phytopathology 95: S176.
- Poag, P.S., Popp, M., Manning, P., and Rupe, J.C. 2005. Soybean seed treatment analysis. University of Arkansas Farm Management and Marketing Newsletter. 13:7-8
- Cho, J.H., Rupe, J.C., and Cummings, M.S. 2001. Isolation and identification of Fusarium solani f.sp. glycines from soil using modified Nash and Snyder medium. Plant Dis. 85:256-260.
- Rupe, J.C., Correll, J.C., Guerber, J.C., Becton, C.M., Gbur, Jr., E.E., Cummings, M.S., and Yount, P.A. 2001. Differentiation of the sudden death syndrome pathogen of soybean, Fusarium solani f.sp. glycines, from other isolates of F. solani based on cultural morphology, pathogenicity, and mitochondrial DNA restriction fragment length polymorphisms. Can. J. Bot. 79:829-835.
- Kendig, S.R., Rupe, J.C., Scott, H.D. 2000. Effect of irrigation and soil water stress on densities of Macrophomina phaseolina in soil and roots of two soybean cultivars. Plant Disease 84: 895-900.
- Rupe, J.C., Widick, J.D., Sabbe, W.E., Robbins, R.T., and Becton, C.B. 2000. Effect of Chloride and soybean cultivar on yield and the development of sudden death syndrome, soybean cyst nematode, and southern blight. Plant Dis. 84: 669-674.
- Cho, J.H., Kim, Y.W., and Rupe, J.C. 1999. Comparison of sudden death syndrome in responses to Fusarium solani f.sp. glycines between Korea and U.S. soybean lines. Korean J. Crop Sci. 44:382-390.
- Rupe, J.C., Robbins, R.T., Becton, C.M., Sabbe, W.A., and Gbur, Jr., E.E. 1999. Vertical and temporal distribution of Fusarium solani and Heterodera glycines in fields with sudden death syndrome of soybean. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 31:245-251.
- Rupe, J.C., Sutton, E.A., Becton, C.M., and Gbur, Jr., E.E. 1998. Effect of soybean growth stage at the time of infection by Diaporthe phaseolorum var. meridionales on stem canker development and yield. Plant Dis. 83:582-586.
- American Phytopathological Society: Counselor for the Southern Division and member of the Financial Advisory Committee
- University: Member and Vice-chair of the Faculty Senate