Dale Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food & Life Sciences
Fax: (479) 575-7601
Vegetable crops and rice diseases
Biology, genetics and molecular biology of fungal and oomycete pathogens
My interests are in applied and basic research in plant pathology. My basic research efforts are on the genetics and population biology of plant pathogenic fungi. Pathogens of interest include Pyricularia (Magnaporthe), Colletotrichum, Fusarium, and Verticillium species, oomycete pathogens like the spinach downy mildew (Peronospora farinosa f. sp. spinaciae = P. effusa) and white rust (Albugo occidentalis) pathogens. My laboratory uses genetic (vegetative compatibility, mating) and molecular tools (DNA fingerprinting, SNPs, and gene sequencing) to characterize the inter- and intraspecific phylogenetic relationships among economically important plant pathogens. We also examined the relationship between genotype and virulence and the evolution of virulence in plant pathogenic fungi and oomycetes. This information has been used in screening procedures to breed for disease resistance. In addition, we are developing molecular markers in spinach with a focus on markers linked to downy mildew disease resistance genes as an effort to incorporate marker assisted selection to incorporate economically important traits into spinach.
My applied interests have focused on managing diseases of various crops particularly egetable crops and rice using Integrated Management Practices. My efforts have focused on the numerous disease management practices including resistance, cultural practices, and chemical and non-chemical methods of disease control. Crops which I have had considerable experience with include numerous vegetables (particularly spinach, tomato, and cucurbits), fruit (apple, peach, mango, kiwi, strawberry), and rice.
I have also been involved in a wide range of international collaborative projects on rice and vegetable diseases, integrated pest management, and the population biology of plant pathogenic fungi and oomycetes; the foreign assignments have been located in India, Nepal, Bangladesh, Thailand, China, the Philippines, Australia, New Zealand, Bolivia, Nigeria, Liberia, Kenya, Uganda, Burkina Faso, Benin, and Egypt. Most of these collaborative efforts have been funded by USDA, USAID, Winrock International, and ACDI/VOCA.
We are also involved in a collaborative project entitled "Durable rice blast resistance through genomic analysis of the host-pathogen interaction" funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates foundation through the United Kingdom BBSRC program.
- Diseases of Economic Crops (Team taught)
- Plant Pathogenic Fungi
- Plant Disease Control
- B.S.- Pennsylvania State University (Plant Science)
- M.S.- University of California, Berkeley (Plant Pathology)
- Ph.D.- University of California-Berkeley (Plant Pathology)
Publications (updated January 2016)
1. Worrall, J.J., Correll, J.C., and McCain, A.H. 1986. Identification of the teleomorph-anamorph connection of Botryosphaeria dothidea on Sequoiadendron giganteum and Sequoia sempervirens. Plant Disease 70:757-759.
2. Correll, J.C., Puhalla, J.E., and Schneider, R.W. 1986. Identification of Fusarium oxysporum f.sp. apii on the basis of colony size, virulence, and vegetative compatibility. Phytopathology 76:396-400.
3. Correll, J.C., Puhalla, J.E., and Schneider, R.W. 1986. Vegetative compatibility groups among nonpathogenic root-colonizing strains of Fusarium oxysporum. Canadian Journal of Botany 64:2358-2361.
4. Correll, J.C. 1986. Powdery mildew (Oidiopsis taurica) of cotton in California. Plant Disease 70:259.
5. Correll, J.C., Gordon, T.R., and Elliott, V.J. 1987. Host range, specificity and biometrical measurements of Leveillula taurica in California. Plant Disease 71:248-251.
6. Correll, J.C., Klittich, C.J.R., and Leslie, J.F. 1987. Nitrate non-utilizing mutants of Fusarium oxysporum and their use in vegetative compatibility tests. Phytopathology 77:1640-1646.
7. Correll, J.C., Gordon, T.R., and Elliott, V.J. 1988. Powdery mildew of tomato: the effect of planting date and triadimefon on disease onset, progress, incidence, and severity. Phytopathology 78:512-519.
8. Ploetz, R.C., and Correll, J.C. 1988. Vegetative compatibility among races of Fusarium oxysporum f.sp. cubense. Plant Disease 72:325-328.
9. Klittich, C.J.R., Correll, J.C., and Leslie, J.F. 1988. Inheritance of sectoring frequency in Fusarium moniliforme. Experimental Mycology 12:289-294.
10. Correll, J.C., Gordon, T.R., and McCain, A.H. 1988. Vegetative compatibility and pathogenicity of Verticillium albo-atrum. Phytopathology: 78:1017-1021.
11. Gordon, R.T., Correll, J.C., Gilchrist, D.G., and Marble, V. 1989. Verticillium wilt of alfalfa in California. Plant Disease 73:18-20.
12. McCain, A.H., Correll, J.C., and Gordon, T.R. 1989. Wound dressings to control pitch canker of Monterey pine. Journal of Arboriculture 15:241-242.
13. Correll, J.C., Klittich, C.J.R., and Leslie, J.F. 1989. Heterokaryon self-incompatibility in Gibberella fujikuroi (Fusarium moniliforme). Mycological Research 93:21-27.
14. Correll, J.C., Gordon, T.R., McCain, A.H., Fox, J.W., Koehler, C.S., Wood, D.L., and Schultz, M.E. 1991. Pitch canker disease in California: Pathogenicity, distribution, and canker development on Monterey pine (Pinus radiata). Plant Disease 75:676-682.
15. Brandenberger, L.P., Correll, J.C., and Morelock, T.E. 1991. Nomenclature of the downy mildew pathogen on spinach. Mycotaxon 41:157-160.
16. Brandenberger, L.P., Correll, J.C., and Morelock, T.E. 1991. Identification and cultivar reactions to a new race (race 4) of Peronospora farinosa f. sp. spinaciae on spinach in the United States. Plant Disease 75:630-634.
17. Correll, J.C., Mitchell, J.K., and Andersen, C.R. 1991. Fruit rot of pumpkin in Arkansas caused by Fusarium equiseti. Plant Disease 75:751.
18. Correll, J.C. 1991. The relationship between formae speciales, races, and vegetative compatibility groups in Fusarium oxysporum. Phytopathology 81:1061-1064.
19. Brandenberger, L.P., Morelock, T.E., and Correll, J.C. 1992. Evaluation of spinach germplasm for resistance to a new race (race 4) of Peronospora farinosa f.sp. spinaciae. HortScience 27:1118-1119.
20. Correll, J.C., Gordon, T.R., and McCain, A.H. 1992. Examination of genetic diversity in California and Florida populations of the pitch canker pathogen, Fusarium subglutinans f.sp. pini. Phytopathology 82:415-420.
21.Elkassabany, N.M., Steinkraus, D.C., McLeod, P.J., Correll, J.C., and Morelock, T.E. 1992. Pandora neoaphids: A potential biological control agent against Myzus persicae in spinach. J. Kansas Entomol. Soc. 65:196-199.
22. Correll, J.C., Morelock, T.E., and Guerber, J.C. 1993. Vegetative compatibility and virulence of the spinach anthracnose pathogen, Colletotrichum dematium. Plant Disease 77:688-691.
23. Koike, S.T., and Correll, J.C. 1993. First report of spinach anthracnose (Colletotrichum dematium) in California. Plant Disease 77:318.
24. Correll, J.C., Rhoads, D.D., and Guerber, J.C. 1993. Examination of mitochondrial DNA RFLPs, DNA fingerprints, and RAPDs of Colletotrichum orbiculare. Phytopathology 83:1199-1204.
25. Wasilwa, L.A., Correll, J.C., Morelock, T.E., and McNew, R.E. 1993. Re-examination of races of the cucurbit anthracnose pathogen, Colletotrichum orbiculare. Phytopathology 83:1190-1198.
26. Xia, J.Q., Correll, J.C., Lee, F.N., and Rhoads, D.D. 1993. DNA fingerprinting to examine microgeographic variation in the Magnaporthe grisea population in two rice fields in Arkansas. Phytopathology 83:1029-1035.
27. Brandenberger, L.P., Correll, J.C., Morelock, T.E., and McNew, R.E. 1994. Characterization of resistance of spinach to white rust (Albugo occidentalis) and downy mildew (Peronospora farinosa f.sp spinaciae). Phytopathology 84:431-437.
28. Chacko, R.J., Weidemann, G.J., TeBeest, D.O., and Correll, J.C. 1994. The use of vegetative compatibility and heterokaryosis to determine potential asexual gene exchange in Colletotrichum gloeosporioides. Biological Control 4:382-389.
29. Correll, J.C., Morelock, T.E., Black, M.C., Koike, S.T., Brandenberger, L.P., and Dainello, F.J. 1994. Economically important diseases of spinach. Plant Disease 78:653-660 (Feature Article).
30. Xia, J.Q., and Correll, J.C. 1995. Mitotic stability of and low hybridization potential between two DNA fingerprint groups of Magnaporthe grisea. Experimental Mycology 19:171-177.
31. Fiely, M.B., Correll, J.C., and Morelock, T.E. 1995. Vegetative compatibility, pathogenicity and virulence diversity of Fusarium oxysporum recovered from spinach. Plant Disease 79:990-993.
32. Wasilwa, L.A., Correll, J.C., and Morelock, T.E. 1995. Phytophthora blight of squash caused by Phytophthora capsici in Arkansas. Plant Disease 79:1188.
33. Shi, Y., Correll, J.C., Guerber, J.C., and Rom, C.R. 1996. Frequency of Colletotrichum and Botryosphaeria species causing fruit-rot of apple in the southern United States. Plant Disease 80: 692-696.
34. Marlett, M.L., Correll, J.C., Kaufmann, P., and Cooper, P.E. 1996. Two genetically distinct populations of Fusarium oxysporum f.sp. lycopersici race 3 in the United States. Plant Disease 80: 1336-1342.
35. Guerber, J.C., and Correll, J.C. 1997. The first report of the teleomorph of Colletotrichum acutatum in the United States. Plant Disease 81: 1334.
36. Kim, D.G., Riggs, R.D., and Correll, J.C. 1998. Isolation, characterization, and distribution of a biological control fungus from cysts of Heterodera glycines. Phytopathology 88:465-471.
37. Kistler, H.C., Alabouvette, R.P., Baayen, Bentley, S., Brayford, D., Coddington, A., Correll, J.C., Daboussi, M.J., Elias, K., Fernandez, D., Gordon, T.R., Katan, T., Kim, H.G., Leslie, J.F., Martyn, R.D., Migheli, Q., Moore, N.Y., O’Donnell, K., Ploetz, R.C., Rutherford, M.A., Summerell, B., Waalwijk, C. and Woo, S. 1998. Systematic numbering of vegetative compatibility groups in the plant pathogenic fungus Fusarium oxysporum. Phytopathology 88:31-32.
38. McLeod, P.J., Steinkraus, D.C., Correll, J.C., and Morelock, T.E. 1998. Prevalence of Erynia neoaphidis (Entomophthorales: Entomophthoracae) infections of green peach aphid (Homoptera: Aphididae) on spinach in the Arkansas River Valley. Environmental Entomology 27:796-800.
39. Harp, T.L. and Correll, J.C. 1998. Recovery and characterization of spontaneous, selenate-resistant mutants of Magnaporthe grisea, the rice blast pathogen. Mycologia 90: 954-963.
40. Xia, J.Q., Correll, J.C., Lee, F.N., Ross, W. J., and Rhoads, D.D. 2000. Regional population diversity of the rice blast pathogen, Pyricularia grisea (Magnaporthe grisea), in Arkansas and the influence of host selection. Plant Disease 84:877-884.
41. Correll, J. C., Harp, T. L., Guerber, J. C., Zeigler, R.S, Liu, B., Cartwright, R. D., and Lee, F. N. 2000. Characterization of Pyriculria grisea in the United States using independent genetic and molecular markers. Phytopathology 90:1396-1404.
42. Guerber, J. C., and Correll, J. C. 2001. Characterization of Glomerella acutata, the teleomorph of Colletotrichum acutatum. Mycologia 93:216-229.
43. Rupe, J. C., Correll, J. C., Guerber, J. C., Becton, C. M., Gbur, E. E., Cummings, M. S., and Yount, P. A. 2001. Differentiation of the sudden death syndrome pathogen of soybean, Fusarium solani f. sp. glycines, from other isolates of F. solani based on culture morphology, pathogenicity, and mitochondrial DNA RFLPs. Canadian Journal of Botany 79:829-835.
44. Long, D. H., Correll, J. C., Lee, F. N., and TeBeest, D. O. 2001. Rice blast epidemics initiated by infested grain on the soil surface. Plant Disease 85:612-616.
45. Irish, B. M., Correll, J. C., and Morelock, T. E. 2002.The effect of surfactants on disease severity of white rust on spinach. Plant Disease 86: 791-796.
46. Kang, S. Ayers, J. E., DeWolf, E. D., Geiser, D. M., Kuldau, G., Moorman, G. W., Mullins, E., Uddin, W., Correll, J. C., Deckert, G., Lee, Y. H., Lee, Y. W., Martin, F. M., and Subbarao, K. 2002. The Internet-based fungal pathogen database: a proposed model. Phytopathology 92:232-236.
47. Irish, B, Correll, J. C., Koike, S. T., Morelock, T. E. 2003. Identification and cultivar reactions to three new races of the spinach downy mildew pathogen (Peronospora farinosa. f. sp. spinaciae) in the United States and Europe. Plant Disease 87: 567-572.
48. Guerber, J. C., Bo, L., Johnston, P. R., and Correll, J. C. 2003. Characterization of diversity of Colletotrichum acutatum sensu lato by sequence analysis of two gene introns, mtDNA and intron RFLPs, and mating compatibility. Mycologia 95:872-895.
49. Irish, B, Correll, J. C., Raid, R. N., and Morelock, T. E. 2004. First report of Peronospora farinosa f. sp. spinaciae race 5 on spinach in Florida. Plant Disease 88:84.
50. Jia, Y., Wang, Z., Fjellstrom, R.G., Moldenhauer, K. A. K., Azam, M.A., Correll, J., Lee F.N., Xia Y., and Rutger J. N. 2004. Rice Pi-ta gene confers resistance to the major pathotypes of the rice blast fungus in the US. Phytopathology 94:296-301.
51. Correll, J. C., Villarroel, M. I., McLeod, P. J., Cazon, M. I., and Rivadeneria, C. 2005. First Report of Powdery Mildew Caused by Leveillula taurica on Tomato and Pepper in Bolivia. Plant Disease 89:776.
52. Peres, N. A., Timmer, L. W., Adaskaveg, J. E., and Correll, J. C. 2005. Lifestyles of Colletotrichum acutatum. Plant Disease 89:784-796.
53. Gonzalez, E., Sutton, T. B., and Correll, J. C. 2006. Clarification of the etiology of Glomerella leaf spot and bitter rot of apple caused by Colletotrichum spp. Based on morphology and genetic, molecular, and pathogenicity tests. Phytopathology 96:982-992.
54. Palmateer, A. J. Ploetz, R. C., van Santen, E., and Correll, J. C. 2007. First occurrence of anthracnose caused by Colletotrichum gloeosporioides in pitahaya. Plant Disease 91:631.
55. Irish, B, Correll, J. C., Koike, S. T., Morelock, T. E. 2007. Identification and cultivar reactions to races 8, 9, and 10 of the spinach downy mildew pathogen (Peronospora farinosa. f. sp. spinaciae) in the United States and Europe. Plant Disease 91:1392-1396.
56. Jia, Y. Correa-Victoria, F., McClung, A., Zhu, L., Liu, G., Wamishe, Y., Xie, J., Marchetti, M. A., Pinson, S. R. M., Rutger, J. N., and Correll, J. C. 2007. Rapid determination of rice cultivar responses to the sheath blight pathogen Rhizoctonia solani using a micro-chamber screening method. Plant Disease 91:485-489.
57. Zhou, E, Jia, Y. Singh, P, Correll, J. C., and Lee, F. N. 2007. Instability of the Magnaporthe oryzae avirulence gene AVR-Pita alters virulence. Fungal Genetics and Biology 44:1024-1034.
58. Bo, L., Wasilwa, L. A., Guerber, J. C. , Morelock, T. E., O’Neill, N. R., and Correll, J. C. 2007. Comparison of Colletotrichum orbiculare and allied Colletotrichum species for mtDNA RFLPs, intron RFLPs, sequence variation, vegetative compatibility, and host specificity. Phytopathology 97:1305-1314.
59. Tomlinson, A. N., Correll, J. C., Koike, S. T., Kammeijer, K. 2007. First report of race 8 of downy mildew, caused by Peronospora farinosa f. sp. spinaciae, of spinach in the United States. Plant Disease 91:1205.
60. Irish, B. M., Correll, J. C., Feng, C., Bentley, T., and de los Reyes, B. G. 2008. Characterization of a resistance locus (Pfs-1) to the spinach downy mildew pathogen (Peronospora farinose f. sp. spinaciae) and the development of a molecular marker linked to Pfs-1. Phytopathology 98:98:894-900.
61. Timila, R. D., Correll, J. C., and Duwadi, V. R. 2008. Severe and widespread clubroot epidemics in Nepal. Plant Disease 92:317.
62. Liu, G., Jia, Y., Correa-Victoria,F.J., Prado, G.A., McClung, A., and Correll, J.C. 2009. Mapping quantitative trait loci responsible for resistance to rice sheath blight disease using greenhouse methods. Phytopathology 99:1078-1084.
63. Castroagudin, V. L., Correll, J. C., and Cartwright. R. D. 2009. First report of fruit rot of pumpkin caused by Fusarium solani f. sp. cucurbitae in Arkansas. Plant Disease 93:669.
64. Koike, S. T., Fake, C. E., and Correll, J. C., 2009. Anthracnose of sunflower sprouts caused by Colletotrichum
acutatum in California. Plant Disease 93: 1351.
65. Dai, Y., Jia, Y., Correll, J. C., Wang, X., and Wang, Y. 2010. Diversification and evolution of the avirulence gene AVR-Pita in field isolates of Magnaporthe oryzae. Fungal Genetics and Biology 47:973-980.
66. Oard, J. H., Moldenhauer, K., Fjellstrom, B., Nelson, J. C., Scheffler, B., Linscombe, S., Correll, J. C., Silva, J.,
and May, G. D. 2010. Registration of the MY2 Cypress/LaGrue rice recombinant inbred line mapping population. Journal of Plant registrations 4:1-5. Doi: 10.3198/jpr2009.11.0668crmp
67. Correll, J. C., Bluhm, B. H., Feng, C., Lamour, K., duToit, L. J., and Koike, S.T. 2011. Spinach: Better Management of Downy Mildew and White Rust through Genomics. European Journal of Plant Pathology – Special Invited Issue 129:193–205.
68. Bo, Liu, Louws, F. J., and Sutton, T. B. 2012. A rapid qualitative molecular method for the identification of
Colletotrichum acutatum and C. gloeosporioides. Eur. J. of Plant Path. DOI 10.1007/s10658-011-9904-1.
69. Jia, Y., Liu, G., Correa-Victoria, F. J., McClung, A.M., Oard, J.H., Bryant, R. J., Jia, M.H., and J. C. Correll. 2012. Registration of four rice germplasm lines with improved resistance to sheath blight and blast diseases. Journal of Plant Reg. 6:95-100.
70. Rodriguez-Salamanca, L.M., Enzenbacher, T. B., Derie, M., du Toit, L. J., Feng, C., Correll, J. C., and Hausbeck, M. K. 2012. First report of Colletotrichum coccodes causing leaf and neck anthracnose on onions (Allium cepa) in Michigan. Plant Disease 96:1383.
71. Villarroel-Zeballos, M. I., Feng, C., Iglesia, A., duToit, L. J., and Correll, J. C. 2012. Screening for resistance to Verticillium wilt in spinach and isolation of Verticillium dahliae from seed of spinach accessions. HortScience 47(9):1297–1303.
72. Swain, S.V., Koike, S. T., Michailides, T. J., Feng, C. and Correll, J. C. 2012. First report of Colletotrichum acutatum on willow in California. Plant Disease 96:1822.
73. Rodriguez-Salamanca, L. M., Enzenbacher, T. B., Byrne, J. M., Feng, C. and J. C. Correll. 2012. First Report of
Colletotrichum acutatum sensu lato causing leaf curling and petiole anthracnose on celery (Apium graveolens) in Michigan. Plant Dis. 96:1383.
74. Xing, J., Jia, Y., Correll, J. C., Lee, F. N., Cartwright, R., Cao, M., and Longping Yuan. 2013. Analysis of genetic and molecular identity among field isolates of rice blast fungus using an international differential system, Rep-PCR and DNA sequencing. Plant Disease 97:491-495.
75. Liu, G., Y. Jia, A. McClung, J. Oard, F. Lee, and J. C. Correll. 2013 Confirming QTLs and finding additional loci responsible for resistance to rice sheath blight disease. Plant Disease 97:113-117.
76. Geiser, D. M, et al 2013. One fungus, one name: Defining the genus Fusarium in a scientifically robust way that preserves longstanding use. Phytopathology 103:400-408.
77. Iglesias-Garcia, A. M., Villarroel-Zeballos, M. I.,Feng, C. du Toit, L. J. and J. C. Correll. 2013. Pathogenicity, virulence, and vegetative compatibility grouping of Verticillium isolates from spinach seed. Plant Disease 97: 1457-1469.
78. He, P., Liu, J.J., He, M., Wang, Z.C., Chen, Z., Guo, R., Correll. J.C., Yang, S., Song, B.A. 2013. Quantitative detection of relative expression levels of the whole genome of Southern rice black-streaked dwarf virus and its replication in different hosts. Virology Journal May 1;10:136. doi: 10.1186/1743-422X-10-136.
79. Correll, J. C., and Feng, C. 2014. First report of Peronospora farinosa f. sp. spinaciae causing downy mildew on spinach in Egypt. Plant Disease 98:994.
80. Feng, C., Correll, J. C., Kammeijer, K. E., and Koike, S. T. 2014. Identification of new races and deviating strains of the spinach downy mildew pathogen Peronospora farinosa f. sp. spinaciae. Plant Disease 98:145-152.
81. Dai, Y.m, Winston, Correll, J. C., and Jia, Y. 2014. Induction of avirulence in U.S. virulent field isolates of Magnaporthe oryzae by AVR-Pita1. The Crop Journal 2:1-9.
82. Feng, F., Mansouri, S., Bluhm, B. H., du Toit, L. J., and Correll, J. C. 2014. Multiplex real-time PCR assays for detection of four seedborne spinach pathogens. Journal of Applied Microbiology doi:10.1111/jam.12541.
83. Wang, J. C., Correll, J. C., and Jia, Y. 2015. Characterization of rice blast resistance genes in rice germplasm with monogenic lines and pathogenicity assays. Crop Protection 72:132-138.
84. Koike, S. T., Feng, C., Correll, J. C. 2015. Powdery mildew, caused by Leveillula taurica, on spinach in California. Plant Disease 99:555.
85. Feng, C., Bluhm, B. H., and Correll, J. C. 2015. Construction of a spinach bacterial artificial chromosome BAC) library as a resource for gene identification and marker development. Plant Molecular Biology Reporter: DOI 10.1007/s11105-015-0891-9.
86. Qian, W., Feng, C., Zhang, H., Wei, L., Xu, D., Correll, J. C. 2, Xu, Z. 2016. 1First report of race diversity in the spinach downy mildew pathogen, Peronospora effusa in China. Plant Disease 100: (in press).
87. Lyon, R., Correll, J. C., Feng, C., Bluhm, B., Shrestha, S., Shi, A., Lamour, K. 2016. Population structure of Peronospora effusa in Southwestern United States. Plos One. (in press).
88. Shi, A., Mou, B., Correll, J. C. 2016. Association analysis of resistance to Verticillium Wilt in spinach. (Submitted)
89. Shi, A., Mou, B., Correll, J. C. 2016. Association analysis of resistance to Verticillium wilt in spinach. Plant Breeding (submitted).
90. Ma, J., Shi, A., Mou, B., Evans, M., Clark, J., Motes, D., Correll, J. C., Xiong, H., Qin, J., Chitwood, Y. and Wg, Y. 2016. Association mapping of leaf traits in spinach (Spinacia oleracea L.). Plant Breeding (submitted).
91. Mgonja, E. M., Balimponya, E. G., Kang, H. Bellizzi, M., Park, C. H., Sneller, C., Correll, J. C., Talbot, N., Mitchell, T. and Guo-Liang Wang 2016. Genome-wide association mapping of rice resistance genes against Magnaporthe oryzae isolates from four African countries. Phytopathology (submitted).
1990 APS Symposium (invited speaker). Recent advances in Fusarium systematics. Grand Rapids, MI
1993 APS symposium (invited speaker). Colletotrichum orbiculare: Past, present, and future. "Systematics and genetics of Colletotrichum". Nashville, TN.
1994 Applied Rice Biotechnology Symposium (invited speaker). Molecular diversity of Pyricularia oryzae in Arkansas. Rice Technical Workers Group. New Orleans, LA.
1996 APS Symposium (invited speaker) Molecular techniques in mycological research: Applications and interpretations. Indianapolis, IN.
1998 Consistent and Devoted Service Award, Arkansas State Horticulture Society, Arkansas
2001 APS Symposium (invited speaker) Vegetable Disease Symposium. Salt Lake City, Utah.
2001 Outstanding Service Award, Indian Institute of Vegetable Research, Varanasi, India
2001 APS Symposium (invited speaker) Biology of Magnaporthe grisea on turfgrass. Salt Lake City, Utah.
2002 Certificate of Appreciation, Winrock International, Morrilton, AR
2003 Certificado de Visitante Distinguido, Partners for the Americas, Santa Cruz, Bolivia
2003 APS Symposium (invited speaker) Biology and management of turfgrass anthracnose. Charlotte, NC.
2003 Invited outside committee member, PhD thesis, Eugenia Gonzalez, Raleigh, NC
2004 Panelist for the Biology of Plant-Microbe Associations program of the USDA/NRI/CSREES/USDA
2005 Panelist for the Biology of Plant-Microbe Associations program of the USDA/NRI/CSREES/USDA
2005 The Presidents’ Silver Volunteer Service Award, President’s Council on Service and Civic Participation, USA Freedom Corps
2005 John White Outstanding Research Award
2005 John White Outstanding Team Research Award
2006 Panel Manager for Biology of Plant-Microbe Associations program of the USDA/NRI/CSREES/USDA
2007 Keynote speaker at the Brazilian Phytopathological Society Meeting, Maringa, Brazil
2007 Keynote Speaker at the First International Symposium on Chili Anthracnose, Seoul, Korea
2008 Invited speaker at the International Colletotrichum Workshop, Torino, Italy
2008 The Presidents’ Silver Volunteer Service Award, President’s Council on Service and Civic Participation, USA Freedom Corps
2009 APS Symposium (invited speaker)
2010 Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation Workshop (invited). Nairobi, Kenya
2010 Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation BBSRC Workshop (invited). Nairobi, Kenya
2011 Outstanding M.S. student Advisor Award
2011 Outstanding PhD. Student Advisor Award
2012 Graduate Student Invited Speaker – Michigan State University
2012 Panel Manager for the Common Bean Productivity Research for Global Food Security, USDA/NIFA
2013 Elected APS Fellow
2013 The Presidents’ Bronze Volunteer Service Award, President’s Council on Service and Civic Participation, USA Freedom Corps.
2012-15 Scientific Advisor Board Member for USDA/NIFA Grant on Blast Disease of Rice and Wheat (4 years)