History of PLPA
The University of Arkansas was founded in 1871. The Department of Plant Pathology was established in 1909. Before that, there is no evidence from the available records that either teaching or research in the field of Plant Pathology was carried out prior to the establishment of the Arkansas Agricultural Experiment Station under the Hatch Act in 1887. Records show that a limited amount of teaching and research in Plant Pathology was carried out in the Department of Horticulture during the period 1887-1909.
Over the years, the Department has developed well-balanced research, extension and teaching programs that emphasize applied plant disease management and a pursuit of new knowledge of use in controlling plant diseases.